Marital Status at the Time of Conversion
What Was Your Marital Status at the Time of Your Conversion to Islam?
Figure 11 represents the respondents’ marital status at the time of their conversion to Islam, as self-identified. The respondents chose from nine possible answers: single – never married, single with children, engaged, married without children, married with children, divorced, divorced with children, separated, or widowed. Of the 257 respondents, 55% reported being single, never married at the time of their conversion to Islam, the highest percentage, and an additional 5% reported being single with children at the time of conversion, bringing the total for single respondents to 60%. Four percent of respondents reported engagement at the time of conversion. Seven percent reported being married without children, while 9% report that they were married with children at the time of their conversion to Islam, bringing the total number of married respondents to 16%. Regarding divorces, 9% reported being divorced at the time of their conversion and 9% reported being divorced with children at the time of conversion, bringing the total number of divorcees to 18%. The remaining 2% reported separation at the time of conversion and no respondents were widows.
For citation purposes
Karla Nicole Evans, Feeling Muslim: Prolegomena to the Study of American Female Converts to Islam [Electronic Resource], by Karla Nicole Evans (2015).Bibliographies. Theses. Non-fiction.
Feeling Muslim © 2017
© 2017 Karla N. Kovacik. All Rights Reserved.